Tuesday, 24 June 2014

Be careful - it's a jungle out there...................

 Around ten days ago I decided to have breakfast at the tree house.   It was a lovely morning.  Camera by my side, I sat down to enjoy my coffee, cereal and toast.
 I had only been there a short while when I was aware of buzzing.   I noticed the start of a wasp nest beneath the acer tree.     I picked up my camera, took a photograph, and decided to  make a hasty exit.    I was totally unaware that a wasp had followed me, and suddenly felt a sharp pain on my inner elbow.   Before I reached the house, my arm had started to swell, and had turned red around the elbow area.   I have never been stung before, so was totally unaware that I am in fact allergic to wasp stings.   I should have realised because our son is also allergic and a few years ago ended up in hospital.   Anyway to cut a long story short, I am now fine.    Poppi has a severe allergy to nuts so I had a medicine chest full of treatments.   After ten days my arm is back to its normal size....hooray.
The wasp nest has now been removed.

Thinking back, the day I had breakfast at the tree house was Friday 13th  ....................I wonder !!

14 comments:

  1. Oh no! Sounds nasty - glad you're ok now. I remember one summer I got stung several times by wasps - one even flew up my skirt and stung my bottom. I don' know what they had against me - the nest was in the goats stable and as I had to go in their twice a day I thought I had better get rid of it - it was huge, beautiful though. A man came in what looked like a space suit and we stayed well out of the way whilst the wasps went berserk. Luckily I'm not allergic but it still hurst like hell. Sounds idyllic having breakfast in the treehouse and your garden looking wonderful. Thanks for sending the Sisynchrium I look forward to receiving it and will let you know when it arrives. Enjoy the rest of the week my friend and stay away from anything that buzzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very nasty Elaine, but I am fine now. Gosh that is some wasp chase.....you must have been very wary of wasps after that.

      It is the perfect place to have breakfast. It gives such a lovely view of the garden.

      Have a good week.

      Delete
    2. Hi Cheryl
      The plants have just arrived and seem to be in fine fettle I have potted them up and will plant them out when I think they have a chance of surviving in the garden. Thanks once again - if there's anything you would like in return just let me know.
      Elaine

      Delete
    3. So pleased. Hope they do well.

      Delete
  2. Oh for goodness sake. I am glad you were prepared. How awful to be allergic like that. My daughter had a fairly severe reaction when she was little. Not terrible but much worse than if I had been stung. Do be careful. At least now you know. On a happier note your tree house looks so inviting. Do take some photos from up there and post them. I like to get on top of the house and look into the garden. Did that this spring when getting maple seeds off the roof. ha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very wary of wasps now......thank goodness the sting was on my arm. Could have been a lot worse.

      Did you really Lisa.....and you are telling me to be careful :)

      Yes I will do that and post them at some point, just for you................

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear everything's fine again, but it must have been awful at the time. It's a good job you were prepared for it with treatments in the medical chest. The only time I can remember being stung was at an open air swimming pool when I was a child. I'd gone with a friend and her family and I'd trod on either a bee or a wasp, I don't know which, it's all just a distant memory now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo,

      It was a first for me......I have never been stung, not even as a child. I must have been lucky :)

      Delete
  4. Ouch! I've only been stung once, and that was enough! What a pretty garden you have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are okay! I've only been stung once--by a yellowjacket--and that was painful enough. My granddaughter won't go into the garden when there are bees around, mainly because her mother is allergic to bee stings and has passed on her fears to Emily. I've told her the bees are too busy to take notice of her. I'd love to see photos from the treehouse, too! Unlike Lisa, however, I never climb on my roof to take photos:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand.....my daughter has a fear of snakes and has passed the fear on to Poppi.

      The treehouse is my limit Rose....there is no way I am climbing on the roof of the house :)

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you are fine. I'm sure you will have an Epi-Pen on hand just in case. The tree house is so lovely. A wonderful place for breakfast. Now that the wasps are gone.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.