Tuesday 21 April 2015

Back to to the woods....

 Many years ago I was fortunate to take our children to visit the Redwood forests in California.     It is something I will never forget.    When we moved to the farmhouse I decided to plant one of these beautiful trees.   I chose a spot far away from the house, for these are the giants of the forest.    A deciduous conifer with yew like foliage, and wonderful autumnal colour.
She now stands at a mere 3 metres...........I will be long gone when she reaches full height but by planting her I leave something for future generations.
 Walk along the pathway to find the trout lily.....her leaves have been nibbled.    A pretty plant that refuses to self seed in this garden.    Oh well, you can't win them all.
 Alongside her is Lesser Celandine 'Brazen Hussy'.    A vigorous plant that I allow to have her own way (for now)
 Primrose Balarina Valentine is a good contrast to all the yellow.    
Ferns are a favourite of mine, and the woodland area is full of them.    The fronds of this fern always remind me of Medusa..........
I am enjoying this Spring.     It is taking its time, there has been no rush.    Each day something new arrives.
 Bleeding hearts edge the pathway.    They seem to grow as I look at them.
I notice the little bee fly as I walked back to the house.    Fascinating little creature.   Its proboscis is very long to allow it to take nectar from deep flowers.   It hovers in the air above plants.    I spent far too long watching the insect and quite forgot that I had muffins baking in the oven...........oh dear, they are a bit too brown for my liking :)

Happy days ................

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos. That bee fly fascinates me, I've only ever seen them on blogs, never in real life. Perhaps I'm not looking hard enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of bee flies in the garden. I also see them along country lanes when I walk Nella.
      They seem to increase each year in this part of the country.

      Hope the sun is shining your end of the country.

      Delete
  2. Ha...I know what you mean, I put water on for a cup of tea yesterday and walked out of the house to do one little thing while the pot came to a boil... You can imagine. I didn't burn up the pot but I had to start all over with new water. I love those primroses. I have one planted by a rock. I hope the rock holds the heat enough that it will survive the winter here. We will see. Bees have been going in and out of the little bee house I made. It is exciting. I hope some tubes are being filled and they will successfully hatch. I love ferns too. The one you pictured is so elegant looking to me. Enjoy the day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, it is good not to be the only one that gets carried away in the moment :)
      The muffins are ok but a little dry because they did not come out on time. At least they are edible.

      I planted the primroses last Spring I just love the bright red blooms. I have around eight plants, I shall divide them after they have finished blooming.
      My bees are just beginning to leave the units. I love to watch them fall from the tubes covered in pollen.....so sweet.

      Have a good day to............

      Delete
  3. You and Lisa made me laugh--I've done this before, too:) The bee fly is such a lovely little creature; I'm not sure I've ever seen one before, or if I have, I didn't look closely enough. So many tiny little miracles going on around us; I'm trying to notice them more. How neat that you planted a redwood! I've never even been to the redwood forests in California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laugh at myself sometimes Rose, the crazy things I get up to !!

      Visiting the Redwoods was a dream of mine........I am grateful to the husband who makes my dreams come true :)

      Hope everything is well and you enjoyed your trip Rose.

      Delete
  4. Bee flies are having a good spring, as are flower bees!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed Simon...............

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Cheryl
    I love seeing what is growing in your garden - your plants are so different to mine photographed beautifully. So brave of you to plant a Redwood - I have seen them in their natural habitat too - such magnificent trees. There seems to be lots of bees about at the moment - a good thing eh! Enjoy the lovely sunshine - I hear rain is forecast - good job as I am having to water at the moment.
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Elaine,

    Ha ! :) The dawn redwood is a slow grower, so of course, it will never be a problem in my lifetime.....
    They are amazing trees......and so pretty in the autumn.
    I do not have so many bees............they are around but not in great numbers at the moment. Of course that can change in the blink of an eye.

    I have been watering to....be glad of some rain but just for a day perhaps :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. forgot to mention the bee fly - I saw one the other day and wondered what it was - never heard of a bee fly before - thanks for the identification.

      Delete
  8. Never mind the muffins ........

    I loved this post, and it is so important to plant trees - they benefit the planet so much.

    Spring (and Autumn) my two most favourite seasons.

    Have a good weekend

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never mind the muffins ........

    I loved this post, and it is so important to plant trees - they benefit the planet so much.

    Spring (and Autumn) my two most favourite seasons.

    Have a good weekend

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cheryl...Oh how time passes while in the presence of such beauty, so about those muffins ;). At least they didn't catch on fire !!!!!!
    The Primrose is just stunning. A bright spot fr sure. The Trout lily we have growing wild as I am sure you have there to. I have moved some by dividing the bulbs, and had good luck. Anyway everything looks lovely. Enjoy.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Cheryl,

    I wish trees didn't take so long to grow... I'd love to have an oak, but know the chances of ever having a mature oak is slim-to-none.

    Ever year I try to look for Bee flies and every year I never see any. Ever. Although I'm not sure I want them as they're parasitic, I believe??? Anyway, it would be awesome to see some.

    This year has been lovely so far... Even begun developing a small tan already.

    ReplyDelete